Friday, March 23, 2012

Motorcycle Mishap

Well, all good things must end. Just when I was getting much more comfortable riding on the cycle, enjoying the cool breeze on my skin and the views of the outlying villages, we had a minor mishap two days ago. Fortunately, Ron and I are fine. Grateful we didn't break anything. So many people came to our aid. A hand from behind me kept passing over small antibacterial tissues. Never saw their face. Another man picked up our cycle and moved it out of the street. And a most kind driver helped me into his taxi and drove us to the small clinic just up the street. He waited with my shopping bags in his car for over an hour, drove me home and refused any payment for his time. Such kindness! The doctor there, Dr. Made, is a daughter-in-law of the owner of our guest house. I had a pretty nasty gash on my leg. Needed cleaning and a few stitches. She was kind and gentle. Ron just had some scratches. We both felt so lucky that we were not hurt bad. So I am hobbling around and visiting the clinic every other day to change the bandages. No more swimming sadly, and no more riding the cycle for me. Everyone staying here has been so kind and checking up on us. Our friends Allan and Issac brought me their computer and for the first time ever on our travels we laid in bed and watched a movie. Felt so weird. You can buy bootleg DVD's here for a couple of bucks, so there are all the new movies I hadn't seen With Indonesian subtitles. Today was Nyepi. Dewa came to our room early, about 6:30, with our coffee and tea. We sat on our porch and watched the sun brighten up everything after the night's rain, and then a beautiful rainbow. It was such a nice way to start the "new year". Most everyone tried to be respectful of the traditions today. No loud talking or noise. Stayed in our rooms or gardens. They make allowances for tourist, fed us breakfast, but other than that we fended for ourselves. Had some food, ice in a cooler. Simple stuff. Since I have been forced to keep my leg elevated and not walking much, this was easy for me. Read my book, played on the iPad and had a few conversations quietly with friends leaving tomarrow for Bhutan. The electricity has been turned off. Ron is reading with his headlamp and it is getting hot in here with no air con or fan. Overall, it has been interesting to experience Nyepi. In the silence any sound was magnified. The most noise came from the doves and the roosters. Even the dogs were quiet!

2 comments:

  1. Is it okay to say "ow" on Nyepi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are recovering Lena - ouch. Love to you both

    ReplyDelete