Monday, January 23, 2023

Leaving Koh Phangan




It’s difficult to express how perfect our time on this remarkable beach was.  All the elements came together to make for a beautiful 12 days. Panviman Resort is like a comfortable old friend. We could float in the gentle sea for hours. It was around 80 degrees. The beautiful tiered pool dropped down the mountainside over a vanishing edge into the sea. Boulders and huge rocks hugged the shore. Boats came and went. It was visually captivating.  We got into an easy routine: swim, eat, lay in the sun, swim, walk, kayak, rest, eat and walk up all those steep steps.  It was blissfully relaxing. And easy. The birds were expressive and loud. The cicadas were beginning to chime in, and the frogs were loud and clear.  But as usual things change. Can’t have it too good for too long.  The last couple of days the wind picked up, the water got choppy and the noise of the waves hitting the boulders beneath our room kept me up at night. So it goes…




One last mango shake.

The morning we left we arrived at the pier expecting the giant catamaran to ferry us across the channel back to Koh Samui.  What a surprise when this large speedboat showed up!  WHAT!  WHERE’S MY CATAMARAN!  Oh well…big surprise…we are going on this boat with about 60 other people all crammed together along with the crew of five.  And it was pretty cool!  It didn’t bother me at all. I kept my sight line on the sea and the island.  The guy in front of me looked like he was gonna lose it at any minute.  I recognize the symptoms. We’ve now returned to our sweet Saree Samui for a few more nights.  Greeted with clapping and hugs. Love the people working here, they are so kind and friendly. It’s nice to be back.

2 comments:

  1. It is always such fun talking with you both over there. These pictures put me in a quiet happy place. The food, vegetation, water is a great stress reducer just looking at the pictures. So glad you are flowing through the slipstream with ease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all seriousness, I wonder if all that peace, quiet and tranquility would drive me nuts? I once nearly went mad in Baja, having spent too much time at a resort. I love that it is your thing and I would certainly love a little pampering, but honestly not sure it would be for me. I would be the guy wanting to constantly find the next temple, when I am traveling I need to explore, hard to get into chill mode. I admit it is a personal failing.

    ReplyDelete