Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Farewell Luang Prabang


Always difficult for me to leave this small special town.  We enjoyed a mellow rhythm weaving our days into a multi textural adventure.  Waking with the birds. The sun slow to break through the low roof overhangs of our heritage building.  Breakfasts were wonderful. Sitting next to the lily ponds.  Dragon flies dancing over the water.  All of the young kids working there were adorable. Teaching me a few words of Lao and me forgetting them instantly.  They noticed I was cold early in the mornings and offered me a cashmere shawl to wear.  

Thoughtful kindness prevailed.  

We would walk 6-7 miles daily, wandering around with little purpose other than to enjoy the day.  

By the time we left we had accomplished most everything we had wanted. 

We walked across the precarious bamboo bridge over the Nam Khan river. 


Sat with the monks as they chanted their evening prayers, the “temple” dog's hanging out in the sanctuary with us.  

Last night we had dinner at one of our favorite restaurants (there were so many!). 

Ron noticed a woman with incredible silver bracelets. I peeked over and realized I had met her in Thailand!  She is very distinctive!  

She is a friend of Pla and Ricardo. We joined her for a short chat and found she stays where we have stayed for many years.  Small world!  


Strolling through the night market one last time…Ron called it the “gauntlet”…I found one more small bag I just had to buy.  Only a few “Kip” left for tips and taxi to the airport the next morning.  Awakening early and hearing the monks hitting the gong announcing morning prayer at 5 a.m. one last time.



A long day of travel… the “ hurry and wait” day. Leaving for the little airport at 6:30a.m.  Two flights on Laos Air turbo prop planes to reach our destination of Siem Reap, Cambodia.  We heard from other travelers who flew two days earlier that the ground crew line up and wave goodbye to the plane as it taxi’s out.  So quaint.  With heavy hearts filled with wonderful memories we are off to another culture, currency rate, and hotter weather… away we go.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the Laos vibe. I think I would be comfortable and happy there.

    ReplyDelete